LOCATION BASED MOBILE ADVERTISING
No longer is LBMA an immature marketing tool
The technology for LBMA has been in use for many years now and many advertisers and agencies have gained experiences, both good and bad. The LBMA market is considered chaotic and many players claim to have the best tech/solution available. We, as a company, describe how to improve your chances of running a profitable/successful location-based campaign.
80% of mobile activity is in-ap
Research shows that about 80% of mobile activity is within apps, leaving only a mere 20% on mobile sites. For this exact reason, it’s necessary to have large amounts of in-app inventory available when the goal is to run a profitable location-based mobile advertising campaign. Very few tech vendors acknowledge this fact, with this being most likely down to an insufficient technical infrastructure.
The simple fact is that when an advertiser or agency wants to serve ads on a hyperlocal scale, the ability to reach as many in-app publishers as possible is going to determine the outcome of the campaign, whatever its goal may be.
Dedicated vs all-round platforms
In our opinion, too many tech vendors have unfounded claims of having a "powerful" location-based proposition. We also consider it a fact that a lot of the ‘big' cross-device platforms (which almost always originated as desktop first platforms) do not have the technical infrastructure and reach to match a dedicated mobile display platform, which solely has mobile-orientated ad exchanges connected to it. Furthermore, the application of a GEO-Fence tool is not as diverse and all-round as one that can be found in a dedicated mobile advertising platform.
In most cases, a location-based mobile advertising campaign is implemented to reach an audience in the vicinity of the advertiser (e.g. a physical store). As well as this, the campaign method is used to target specific audiences who reside in specific locations (e.g. students targeted at locations of schools and IT Professionals in IT related companies/locations). In both cases, the ability to reach as many publishers as possible, on a hyperlocal scale, will define the outcome of the campaign.
When implementing Location Based campaigns for our customers, these learnings - and appropriate technology based on them - is implemented.
In depth – more facts to consider
- Location determination by GPS is considered the most accurate. Only apps will actually provide impressions or bids that have their location determined by a GPS signal. This is another reason for using mobile dedicated platforms, which are connected to vast amounts of in-app traffic.
- A true GEO-Fence tool can process, serve and report on thousands of locations. Our tool is able to serve in more than 10,000 GEO-fences simultaneously
- Tools to prevent fraud are a necessity. Rogue publishers offer impressions with fake location data because they are worth more.
- Integrations with Data Management Platforms that offer location-based data can be very useful.
- Knowledge and tools to serve rich media dynamic banners (that can show individual information based on the location where these ads are served) can be of great value and often determine a successful outcome of a campaign.
- GEO forecasting tools are a must-have.
Contact us for proper guidance with implementing the right technology for your location-based mobile advertising campaign.